The Chalk Loft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ksixteen

question Empty
PostSubject: question   question Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:28 pm

I have a general question but don't know where to ask it. Suppose you have an easel, a drawing idea, and paper. What else do you need to get started chalking. I'd like to hear the Basic mininial answer -(for example, you would need 5 pieces of chalk, red, blue, green...etc. I am just guessing, I don't know that answer yet.)
And I would like the Dream Team answer - (If I had a large amt of money to spend on chalk supplies I would get.....)
Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Back to top Go down
jgille1072

question Empty
PostSubject: Re: question   question Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:26 am

Good Morning, Kelly,

When I started out, I was very blessed to attend a Chalk Seminar taught by Larry Sinclair at a local camp. We could purchase all the materials we needed at this Seminar and ask questions, etc. So I am encouraged that you are asking questions and seeking some guidance to further your ministry.

Where I would tell you to go first is to Eternity Arts, eternityarts.com, Bro. Matt Bowman has some excellent teaching materials, DVD's, books, etc., that should get you on a good path. Not knowing where you are located you might want to find out where he is holding a seminar and try to attend. There is nothing like being with a great teacher and asking questions,etc. But the videos would be a good substitute until you can attend.

We started out very small. We had a tiny little hatchback car that we loaded a heavy chalk board and everything else. Truly it looked like a tiny clown car with all of our gear piled to the top. It was a handed down board and we were excited! As we have received offerings we have put it all back into the ministry. So as you grow, you can get better equipment and more supplies.

The greatest thing is to see what God is going to do with your willingness to serve Him. He will add all the equipment and instructions to provide you with a great ministry to reach people for Christ. Just challenge yourself and in prayer ask for wisdom (I do this all the time) I am not a natural artist, so I have to work on it constantly, it doesn't come easy. So I am grateful for all of the encouragement that God gives me, it is His hands that draw not mine.

God Bless and Keep Growing,
Jackie
Back to top Go down
ksixteen

question Empty
PostSubject: Re: question   question Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Thank you Jackie,
No, as we are on the field right now it will be a while before I can attend a workshop. UNLESS....I there is anyone wanting to visit NICE, SUNNY, Spain any time soon.
I do take a class in oil painting here and in one of the first classes the teacher gave us a list of basic supplies...colors, tools...etc. She also gave us an expanded "someday" list.
Colors, tools, mediums, to add in the future. That is what I am basically asking. What are the basic tools, colors I need to get started and if anyone wants...things in the future - extra colors, gizmos...etc
-Kelly
Back to top Go down
jgille1072

question Empty
PostSubject: Re: question   question Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Hey Kelly,
Wish we could visit Spain, right now it is sleeting and freezing rain outside my home window and help you out!

I guess the best place to start would be looking at the basic chalk set at Eternity Arts. On eternityarts.com, they have the basic chalk sets and bogus paper that you would need to start out. You would need a set of basic lecturer's chalk, (basic invisible flourescent chalks, daylight flourescent chalks) if you want to do an invisible picture for your presentation. You will need blacklight to draw the invisible picture with the invisible flourescent chalks. On Bro. Kerry's "chalkandamazed.com" site, there are some downloadable books to show you how to set up an easel until you can purchase one with a hood.

You can draw a picture without a blacklight presentation with the lecturer's chalks. The techniques are different than with oil-based pastels because it is worked with edges. The bogus paper is necessary for the lecturer's chalks because it must be sanded and prepared to accept the chalk.

What is so great is that with a basic set of chalk it is totally blendable and you can get great shading and can make a good presentation.

Again, I would suggest that you look at Eternityarts.com, they have basic color packs for all of the chalks and some instruction books that might help you learn some of the necessary techniques.

I hope this answers your question. God bless,
Jackie
Back to top Go down
ksixteen

question Empty
PostSubject: Re: question   question Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Sounds good. I have visited the eternityarts site and already know of one DVD I want to order. The sentence -"The techniques are different than with oil-based pastels because it is worked with edges." Could you explain further?
I have worked with oil pastels but once or twice.
Is there a tool for blending like in charcoal drawing or do you just use your fingers?
Thanks for your help,
Kelly
Back to top Go down
Kerry Kistler
Admin
Kerry Kistler

question Empty
PostSubject: Re: question   question Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 am

Hi Kelly,
Take a look at the free booklet called Chalk Art: Catching a Vision. It's aimed at mostly beginning chalkers. This link will take you to a picture of the cover and a download link to the PDF file:

http://thechalkloft.heavenforum.org/the-loft-shop-new-f18/chalk-art-catching-the-vision-free-e-book-download-t77.htm

As far as a "wish list" - that is a tough one because each chalk artist has a unique style and what one chalker might drool over another might not ever use. For example, I know some chalkers that use projectors to throw an image (still or moving) onto their finished drawing. I probably would not use that technique.

Another example - some chalkers insist on using a frame to hang on the completed drawing to make it look more finished to the audience (some easel boards have that frame feature built in). I don't use this and probably never will but some insist on it.

What do I dream about? I like the LeGrand easel (www.chalkmart.com) and use it all the time but I'm hoping he will design a new hood someday to operate using colored LEDs rather than regular bulbs. I can't think of other special effects gizmos that I would use very often except for a simple device I use for adding real fire to certain drawings.

Chalkwise, don't be a stingy miser with how you apply it. You know what they say about making an omlet - ya got to break a few eggs. Each drawing takes approximately a full stick of chalk to complete (if you could add up every stroke). It's like oil painting - I used to be so worried about using too much or wasting a little bit that it took the enjoyment out of painting. Be generous with your chalk and feel the freedom cheers! God will provide.

Curtians behind your easel are a nice addition to have because they frame things and kind of help keep the eyes of the audience from drifting off the drawing to things behind it. Most of the old timers used some sort of curtian accessory. This is something I have always used too.

Another thing you might like someday is a rotating drawing board for trick cartoon stunts. David LeGrand has designed and built one for me and I think he could be persuaded to build more. Also, I am working with Matt Bowman to see if we can develop a nice red chalk that will also fluorese in red (for crown of thorn/crucifixion scenes, etc.). I look forward to that being worked out.

These are a few of the things that come to mind.

Have fun!
Kerry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

question Empty
PostSubject: Re: question   question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Chalk Loft :: THE TOOL BOX :: The Chalk Wagon-
Jump to:  
Free forum | Art, Culture and Leisures | Painting, Drawing | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com