The Chalk Loft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Why aren't there more of us?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kerry Kistler
Admin
Kerry Kistler

Why aren't there more of us? Empty
PostSubject: Why aren't there more of us?   Why aren't there more of us? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 12:57 am

I know this area has the potential for provocative discussion.

Chalk art has the undeniable power to amaze and move people deeply. Most chalkers have heard it over and over again following programs, "I have never seen anything like this in my whole life - it was amazing, just incredible!"

If this is true - and I believe it is - then why aren't there legions of chalk artists swarming every major market? As the saying goes, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." It's true that success breeds clones. So...where are they?

I once believed that the problem with chalk art had to do with its messiness - who in their right mind would want to deal with the dusty mess it generates? Then, based on a few comments I heard, I wondered if chalk art simply needed a face lift - that the old-school form of presentation (coupled with its 60 year old music) had hurt the market, or as they say in the carnival world, "burned the lot." Perhaps there are shades of truth to these notions - perhaps there are other, better, reasons Why aren't there more of us? Icon_scratch.

One area that I think is worth exploring is the business side of chalk art. Christian artists are usually loath to ponder issues of money when it comes to art - especially where it intersects with mission and ministry. I have listened to some old, wizened chalkers pontificate on the moral rectitude of operating exclusively on a free-will offering basis - as if any other approach to funding ministry smelled of fire and brimstone. On the opposite end, some operate according to a business plan that allows little room for negotiating booking fees. Some might call it "survival of the fiscal fittest." Is this what is keeping the herd so thin?

Perhaps both positions have their strengths...and pitfalls.

This is a place for you to air your opinion on the matter. And, perhaps, the discussion will reveal that there is no one right answer for us all.

What do you think?
Kerry
Back to top Go down

Why aren't there more of us?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Chalk Loft :: NOT QUITE CHALK :: "Drawing" a Salary-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com