The Chalk Loft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

This could be what I need

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ksixteen

This could be what I need Empty
PostSubject: This could be what I need   This could be what I need Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 6:05 pm

I am Kelly. 20 yr Baptist Missionary in Spain. 20 yrs here, not 20 yrs old - don't I wish. I am trained in oil painting and am looking to make the jump into Chalk art.
Since I do have some art training I am wondering where to start with chalk art.
And since we are here on the field, I don't have the possibility of signing up for any chalk classes. Any feedback is welcome.
Back to top Go down
Kerry Kistler
Admin
Kerry Kistler

PostSubject: Re: This could be what I need   This could be what I need Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for hooking up with The Chalk Loft! I also hope that it provides what you need.

If you are a beginner, there are many resources you can pursue. You are probably familiar with www.EternityArts.com and www.Chalkmart.com. Dan Ondra also has some helpful material at http://danondra.com/chalkart/index.html

You may also check out a free ebook for beginning chalk artists called Chalk Art: Catching the Vision at this link:

http://thechalkloft.heavenforum.org/the-loft-shop-new-f18/chalk-art-catching-the-vision-free-e-book-download-t77.htm#79

Also, here is a link that will take you to a listing of chalk art & chalk talk books currently in print (along with vendor links): http://goldenchalkclassics.blogspot.com/#current

That should get you started but feel free to post any and all questions.

See you around the Loft,
Kerry
Back to top Go down
Jerry

PostSubject: Re: This could be what I need   This could be what I need Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm

If you can draw, you can do chalk art. I think the biggest problem for many artists is the scale, but if you are used to painting on a large canvas, there should be a simple learning curve. When do you come home again on furlough? Simple though it may be, you might benefit from a hands-on class anyway. There are a number of good ones, try ...
http://www.eternityarts.com/
You can find training videos, chalk, paper (shipping the paper might be very expensive though), and links to some of the best chalk artists and trainers there.

I do my work differently from most - I almost always illustrate Bible stories. Every picture I do is completely laid out in pencil (or some other sneakier method). I try to remember to tell all my audiences that I am not "le grande artist" and that I "cheat like crazy." This doesn't seem to hurt the value of the presentation, because it has to be the Holy Spirit that works on hearts. Art operates on the right side of the brain and shuts down the distracting debates of the left side.
Back to top Go down
ksixteen

PostSubject: Re: This could be what I need   This could be what I need Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 am

Thank you for the welcome. We need to come home in the next year or so to put our youngest into college, but we have a new family coming to work with us at the end of this year who know very little spanish. We will need to stay while they get set up and find their sea legs. We are looking at, at least another year and a half wait and leaving it in the Lords hands.

Yes, I am interested in how to make this work here while keeping cost down. Not only shipping but customs also. Any thing I can use from here will help with that.
I especially have a question about the "bogus" paper. Is there a good substitute like newsprint? Any helps and ideas are appreciated. The idea of mapping things out in pencil interests me. The reason I love oils so much is that you can paint over the same spot a dozen times until you get it right. Unlike watercolors..etc.
Back to top Go down
Kerry Kistler
Admin
Kerry Kistler

PostSubject: Re: This could be what I need   This could be what I need Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Kelly,
Bogus paper has a tooth or texture similar to construction paper and it holds the chalk better than most other paper - newsprint is generally too slick for most chalk artists. But, if you can get your hands on an end-roll from a newspaper office you could try "toning" it with a foam sanding block. That might give you enough tooth to make it work.

The other thing to try is sheets. Take a look at this topic for some ideas on that:

http://thechalkloft.heavenforum.org/bogus-or-nothere-we-crumb-f10/

I'm sure others have some ideas. Maybe we can get them to weigh in on this.

Kerry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This could be what I need   This could be what I need Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This could be what I need
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Chalk Loft :: WELCOME TO THE CHALK LOFT :: Unroll the Red Carpet-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com